Auditorium & Stage Phase                               Athenaeum Toilet Facilities ( Refurbishment )                               Front Steps & Canopy Refurb

The brick skin of the toilet block was built in 1900 as a skittle alley and access corridor, covering over the original gardens, privy and stable block from the days of the London and Search Hoop Inns 1695-1857. It was subdivided in the 1930s, during the days of the cinema, to create the toilets that we have just removed. Part of it originally housed the generator for the cinema projector too. The roof was altered and repaired in about 1968, and lastly the store cupboards and disabled toilet were added in 1993.
In 2012 after several years of planning and much fundraising, the demolition of the old Athenaeum Toilet facilities took place and new 130,000 facilities erected in their place.

 
   
    Demolition of Ladies cubicles.   The toilets were removed along with the back wall ready for a new wall and roof to be installed.   Steel joists to support the new roof are waiting to be set in place.
   
Old Toilet Facilities Demolition ( above ) - - - - - After Refurbishment ( below )
   
 
The new Ladies WC ( above )
 
    The new WC Corridor with heating & fire doors.   The new accessible WC   The new Gents WC